Glyn-Coch Studios is based on a beautiful family run farm in Carmarthenshire in West Wales. The farm appears to have been occupied since Roman times, and its name appears to have evolved from Llwyn-Coch, or Red Grove, which would have made it, like many of its neighbours, part of the Grove estate. The main farm, Grove Farm is only about a mile away and the presence of a small lake overshadowed by wooded cliffs overlooked by a Saxon Church seems to conform to a Celtic origin. An ancient roadway passes through the farm towards this grove, and the County Archeologist has recorded it as a Roman road. Glyn-Coch Farm is built around a rectangular yard with buildings on three sides. Modern records and the architectural styles suggest four phases of recent building, dating from about 1600, 1800, 1935, and 1970. The basic structure of each building is a model of its period, though, of course continuous use, and pragmatic maintenance has left its mark. We know of at least one wooden building of uncertain date, which was demolished to make room for the 1970 project, and which also conformed to the rectangular pattern. The only building that departs from the rectangular pattern is the tiny 1600 building, which we have found some evidence for housing a small, pond type, water mill. Its strange angle seems to have been to align it with a small seasonally filled pond and leat. Excavations associated with the closure of the farm crossing, when the raiways were privatised, exposed a cobbled surface said, also to be Roman.
The St Clears area was famous for wheat and other arable crops 100 years ago, and some parts of the farm are certainly capable of growing good potato crops. However economic conditions enforced a change to grass farming, and between 1965 and 1980 the 165 acres suported a herd of 40 rising to 65 dairy cows. The introduction of Milk quotas in 1980 made milk an uneconomic crop, so dairy cows were replaced by beef and sheep. Poly-tunnels were built on fields close to the house and were planted with soft fruit. "Wild" raspberry and current plants still appear from time to time, though most people who remember this period associate Glyn-Coch with strawberries.
In 1995 The farm was split up and most of the land was bought by the Pearce family who still run it as Glyn-Coch Stud. They have bred many prize winning Welsh Mountain and Welsh Cob ponies, and run an international horse transport business.The farmstead and "home fields" were bought by a family who set up an equestrian business and introduced very rare Norfolk Horn sheep to help manage the grass. About 17 acres were planted with mixed native hardwood trees
In 2000 the the now tiny Glyn-Coch Farm consisted of 17acres of woodland an 10 acres of grass. Since then the trees have grown well and some are over 50ft tall. The Norfolk Horn Sheep remained and the contrast between short dry grassland, wetland and woodland supported a very diverse flora and fauna and contributed to the farm being shortlisted fro sevaral presitigious national awards run by wildlife and tourism organsations.
Thelma and Huw Jones.
Thelma and Huw brought their family to Glyn-Coch Farm in 2000, and ran the small farm as Glyn-Coch Craft Centre until about 2012.The Craft Centre (apart from the only flock of Norfolk Horn sheep in Wales) included a Shop, Tea-room, pottery, campsite, displays of radios, computers, cameras and farm machinery, and a woodland walk. The site had previously been the home of Glyn-Coch Designs, so it was natural that in addition to the earthenware that we made here, we become more involved with bone china decoration, firstly selling the Glyn-Coch Design china on behalf of Roland Evans, who had moved to Tenby, and later becoming more involved with the creative side under the tutilage of Jean Evans.
We work with
1980 - 95 Glyn-Coch Designs
1995 - 2000 Glyn-Coch Studios, Glyn-Coch flock of pedigree Norfolk Horn Sheep
2000 - 2012 Glyn-Coch Craft Centre, Glyn-Coch Studios, Pwll-Trap flock of pedigree Norfolk Horn Sheep
2012 - present Glyn-Coch Studios and Ffyron-Coch flock of pedigree Norfolk Horn Sheep
Glyn-Coch Farm, Ffynnongain Lane, Pwll Trap, St Clears, Carmarthenshire. SA33 4AR
We are in West Wales, about 1 miles from the end of the A48/A40 dual carriageway which leads west from the M4
Glyn-Coch Studios family run craft business, decorating bone china, making ceramic products and knitting looms
Pwll Trap, St Clears, Carmarthenshire UK.
Drive west on M4 and keep on going on A48/A40 almost to the Pembrokeshire border.